Thursday, November 17, 2016

Daisy Head Maisy

To get in practice for taking a dog everywhere we go, I shook the car keys at Daisy, our 14 year old Beagle-dor. Her favorite thing, after eating anything except vegetables, is riding in the car. She went with me to pick up my groceries at Walmart's new pick-up service.


Driving through town, I opened the window. I watched her nose work the smells, vibrating almost, reading the air. She has an expert nose. In her day, I could say "find it" if I was missing a chicken, and she would track it down. More mentally Beagle than Labrador, however, she is more prey driven than people driven and not bonded to William but to me.

As the dominant animal in the house, Daisy tolerates no mischief. She quickly corrects any animals in our house misbehaving with a loud... well, I don't even know what to call it. Not a bark, not a growl. She yells at them. She hurts not a hair on their heads, but it startles the bejebbies out of them (and me). I am thinking she will be a good teacher for the new puppy.

I like to call her Daisy Head Maisy. from the Dr. Seuss book.

No comments:

Post a Comment